This is the current required computing resources that a student must have before enrolling in CS-010 or CS-030 in the 2019-2020 school year. We anticipate that this would last a student for four years in the Computer Science program. For questions, please contact Prof. Patterson via his Westmont email address.
Students taking computer science courses are required to have a laptop for classroom, lab, and self-study use. The current minimum requirements are:
- 256GB of storage (hard drive or SSD)
- 16 GB of memory (RAM)
- 2.5Ghz Intel Core i7
- Wi-Fi networking
- Extended warranty program for repairs and accidents (such as AppleCare+, or Dell Warranty Basic Service with Accidental Damage Services)
- To handle the problem when a laptop breaks in the middle of a semester. #truestory
- An external hard drive with storage greater than the laptop for backups (using software such as TimeMachine, or Dell Backup and Recovery). see above.
- The screen size, graphics card, and operating system (Mac, Linux, Windows) are at the discretion of the student.